Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Living Strong and Free

Ouch. Sorry about ditching you all for a year!

My year post treatment was more difficult than I had hoped.  I think we tend to focus on the treatment end of things and forget that our bodies are literally waging war and will need to recuperate properly.

My first post mammogram went SO smoothly.  My second - just this month - did not and I had to go back for a diagnostic mammogram with the possibility of an ultrasound.  Cue rampant memories of my "just a bit of" diagnosis.  I could tell I was mentally trying to prepare myself for the ride to start all over again.  Oy vey.

Luckily, the follow up images cleared everything up.  Those "dumb boobs" aka "dense breasts" that I have simply now have scar tissue aka badges from kicking cancer's ass, so it took some better pictures to assure the doctors that all is well.

All IS well.

I have continued to attend a restorative yoga class at the cancer center.  Seek these out if you have any near you.  Ours is free and focuses on gentle stretching and relaxation meditations.  The instructors can show you certain positions that help with nausea, insomnia, and the general positive mindset that is so incredibly important as you go through treatment and after.

I had my doctor refer me to Mary Freebed's Rehabilitation Hospital for physical therapy, and from there I went through a program to get me back into working out.  The doctor at Mary Freebed also spent a good deal of time considering my ongoing pain.  Mine is from some nerve damage from chemotherapy.  He prescribed Cymbalta and, wow, it has been wonderful.  It disrupts certain pain receptors (if I'm explaining that correctly) and, I'm not going to lie, I was not upset that it is also used as an anti-depressant.  At the time, post-treatment, I was caught in a catch 22.  Moving can help with post-treatment pain.  Post-treatment pain makes you not want to move.  Hmmm ... what now?!

Seek out any of these types of get-going programs and medical treatments.  I just started another called Live Strong at the YMCA.  So far it is fabulous.  This is 12 weeks with instructors at the Y with a three month free membership.  The instructors assess where you are physically and then build an appropriate program for you.  You'll also meet others in similar situations.  Talk to your surgeon and oncologist about Live Strong - they should recommend it once you've healed sufficiently.

Keep asking questions.  That's honestly the key.  If something is just not working for you, keep asking questions until you find what DOES work.  There IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm looking around now and seeing sunshine.  I'm still working on the weight (isn't it ALWAYS the first to come and the last to go - how rude!) but I'm focused on the present.  What makes you happy .... today?  A hug from your child?  Seeing the new Marvel's movie?  That first cup of coffee?

Whatever it is ... remember those little joys of life.  They'll get you through the tough ones.

As always, any of you are welcome to ask me any questions.  Remember - you can do this.

Life is good.  Sure, absolutely, there are moments that suck.  A cancer diagnosis SUCKS.  But there are always moments that shine.  Love and support that blows you away.

Ultimately, life is good.


1 comment: